During the Microsoft press event this morning, as expected, Microsoft announced the Surface Pro 4 along with a couple of new phones and the new Microsoft Band 2.
Then they shocked everyone by announcing the Surface Book!!!
You can see the official Surface Book Launch video below:
Surface Book Announced: Tech Details
Like with the Surface Pro 4, we don’t have all of the details yet, we do know that the new Surface Book will be available for pre-order tomorrow (October 7th) and will be shipping October 26th. From the information presented at the briefing, we know it will offer the following:
- Will start at $1499 USD
- 6th Generation Intel Core (Skylake)
- NVIDIA GPU with GDDR5 Memory placed in the keyboard section (woot!!!)
- Up to 16GB RAM
- Up to 1TB Hard Drive
- 13.5″ ‘PixelPense’ Display
- Only 7.7 mm thick
- 6MP Screen offering 267 DPI
- 8MP Cameras
- Detachable Backlit keyboard
- Dual USB 3.0 ports in keyboard
- Full-size SD card slot
- Precision glass touchpad with 5-points of touch
- Machined magnesium body
- 12 Hour Battery life (Oh yeah, I’m going to test the heck out of that since they always overestimate)
- A new Pen with 1024 points of pressure, the return of the “eraser” function for the end button, 1-year battery life, and magnetic storage.
Surface Book Announced: First Impressions
Let me sum it up this way; “I can’t wait until October 26th so I can get the Surface Book. Joanna can have the Surface Pro 4!!!!”
Hey, I’m a gamer. That GPU is really important to me.
Graphics capabilities aside, I find the placement of the GPU in the keyboard to be a really innovative feature. this does a few things:
- It allows the tablet portion to be thinner and lighter
- It also allows the tablet portion to have better battery life since it doesn’t have to feed the GPU when detached
If it works, I think it will be a really awesome feature that the rest of the pack will start replicating.