My experience when I went to trade in iPad for Surface 2 pre-order:
On Sept 5, 2013 Microsoft announced their $200 iPad trade-in program to go toward the purchase of a Surface or any other Microsoft product. Great sign me up! But wait, on Sept 23, Surface 2s were announced. Hmmmm….
The obvious question then is: “Can I trade in my iPad on a Surface 2 pre-order?”
I checked the Microsoft site for details but it was kind of vague and so I called them and here is what I learned:
- Good only for iPad 2, 3, or 4 in working condition – no exceptions! – There goes my chance, I have an iPad 1.
- You will get a minimum of $200 in a gift card – the newer and better condition of the iPad the better trade-in value.
- The gift card can go toward any purchase in the Microsoft store – online or retail.
- The exchange has to happen in a Microsoft retail store – of which there are not many; lucky for me we have two in our area.
- The offer is subject to Microsoft’s discretion and manager’s approval.
- You can use the gift card to pre-order of Surface 2 but there is a catch: you can only do so in a brick & mortar retail Microsoft store, not online.
- The offer is only good between Sept 5 and Oct 27, 2013. So Hurry!
- Not valid on prior pre-orders, orders, or purchases.
Common Questions and Answers
Q: Can I trade in my Surface RT for a Surface Pro 2?
A: Microsoft does not have a plan for trading older Surfaces in at this time.
Q: Can I also trade in my iPhone?
A: Yes, iPhone 4s and iPhone 5 are both eligible for the same trade-in program.
Q: Do I need the original box?
A: No, but if you have the chargers and cables you’ll get a better trade-in.
I also asked if could trade both iPad and iPhone in and use the combined $400 toward a pre-order of a Surface Pro 2 and was told that the associate would have to check with the manager. That’s where I think the manager’s discretion disclaimer will come in.
It could work out for you but, I wouldn’t go in expecting it.
So, all in all, not a bad deal. You can trade in iPad for Surface 2 pre-order. But unfortunately, I will not be able to benefit because my iPad is too old.
If you live near a Microsoft retail store, and want to trade in, I think it’s worth the trouble. Hey, $200 is $200 – just sayin’. Better hurry though, the offer ends in a couple of weeks.
Only thing I wonder is what will Microsoft do with all those iPads and iPhones…. Maybe they’ll start selling cutting boards?