With newer Surface Pro laptops being released Microsoft has been offering some pretty good deals on the older Surface Pros. However, if you want to save the most money, you should consider a refurbished Surface Pro 3.
These are factory refurbished Surface tablets that are just as good as a non-refurbished tablet and even carry the same warranty. Depending on the model, you can save up to $350 USD on a refurbished Surface Pro 3!
Hereâ€™s an outline of the price difference between refurbished and brand new Surface Pro 3 tablets:
The refurbished Surface Pro 3 tablets come with a Surface Pen and power brick (just like a new one) but because youâ€™re going to save AT LEAST $160 USD you can, essentially, get a Type Cover for free and still save $30 USD off the cost of a non-refurb Surface Pro 3!
Here’s a table outlining the price difference between refurbished and brand new Surface Pro 3 tablets:
|SP3 Model||New Price||Refurbished Price||Savings|
Refurbished Surface Pro 3: FAQ
Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions about refurbished computers (like the SP3).
- Whatâ€™s a refurbished SP3? â€“ A refurbished SP3 (sometimes called refurbs) is one that had some sort of problem during testing but was fixable. Alternatively, they may have been returned to Microsoft after someone bought a newer computer or had a (fixable) problem with it.
- Arenâ€™t they lower quality? â€“ No. In fact, I prefer refurbished machines (when I can get them conveniently) because most quality control (QC) testing is automated these days. Usually, a real-live technician fixes the refurbs and ensures they are working correctly. As much as I like technology, I still think having a trained technician looking something over is going to produce better results than a quick test done as quickly as possible on an automated assembly line.
- Are there other benefits? â€“ Aside from saving money, youâ€™re helping save the environment by preventing (at least a few) toxic electronic components from ending up in landfills.
- Where can I get more information about refurbished computers? â€“ From Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/refurbishedpcs/
Refurbished Surface Pro 3: Where Can I Get One?
When purchasing a refurbished product, it is always best to choose one that is â€œcertified.â€ With a refurbished Microsoft Surface Pro 3, for instance, you will be getting a device that Microsoft has worked hard on, and used their personal touch with. If the device needs a new product, it will be a Microsoft part that is installed.
There are a few things you can 100% count on when getting a Certified product from Microsoft:
- The device will be tested thoroughly, and you can bet youâ€™ll have a fully functional product in both power and performance.
- All Windows OS software, as well as updates, will be put back onto your device.
- Your product will be cleaned and inspected for exterior harm, and then it will be fixed up to look brand new.
- You will get all your device manuals, cables, and chords, packaged in a new Microsoft box.
Getting a certified refurbished Surface Pro 3 device is the closest thing you can get to a new device without spending new device money on it. Microsoft makes sure to make you feel like your purchase was worth it, and they refurbish the device with total excellence. If the job is done right (and it almost always is, since they have a name to uphold), you should not be able to tell this is a used device!
One of the best perks of getting a certified device from Microsoft is the limited warranty you will receive. Warranties are essential to possess with any software product you purchase (or any costly product, for that matter), but it is even more critical with refurbished devices because anything can go wrong no with it, matter how excellently this product is repaired. Keep in mind, this is still a used product that has been given a new life!
With the refurbished Surface 3, you are genuinely getting maximum savings. You are pretty much getting a new device for a lower price, and it is indeed the better option than purchasing a Surface Pro 3 from a third-party. These offer no guarantee of quality, and likely no warranty either.
Remember that there are multiple versions of the Surface Pro 3, which is a PC with touchscreen display and tons of other features:
- Surface Pro 3 with a touchscreen tablet and laptop combination. Comes with a the Intel Core processor i5, as well as a 4GB RAM and storage the is 128GB. The best part is you will get the Windows 10 app store included! The surface pro type cover is expensive on its own, so this dual device is indeed a steal.
- For a bit more, you can purchase a more decked out Surface Pro 3. This next version has 258GB SSD as well as 8GB of RAM. Still a Core i5 processor, just with more space.
- You even have the option to get an Intel Core i7 laptop processor if this one tickles your fancy. This option has 256GB of storage. Another Intel Core i7 processor option is 512 GB of storage.
What Are the Advantages of Refurbished Purchasing, And is it Safe?
As we have mentioned above, purchasing refurbished computers means potentially saving hard-earned bucks, as well as leaving less of a carbon footprint behind. But let’s dive a little deeper into these perks and more.
As far as being environmentally conscious, the adoption of devices falls in line with recycling and living more waste free. As a consumer, you are now being beckoned to reuse instead of buying new. Green living was not a conversation we were having just a few years ago, but the world is progressing, and we are making strides into sustainable living, in all areas. Refurbished devices are a key part of this call for better awareness of how the consumer treats the earth.
You, of course, have a choice in the matter, but the industry is changing the game all over the world by reminding us that the adoption of refurbished electronics is something of a duty. E-waste is some of the worst. The constant turnover of new devices is not sustainable for the planet. Unfortunately, we are seeing this more and more as the years go by, and the fad of upgrading every year grows bigger and bigger.
Certified refurbished products are pretty much new and typically come with a warranty, making them seem more and more desirable and trustworthy for the consumer. While major companies work on ways to create more sustainable electronic products (with more raw ingredients), buying refurbished is a big game changer for the planet. The market is changing, and the reliability of certified refurbished products is becoming stronger.
So, is it safe to purchase a refurbished device? In a word, yes. But there is one caveat: the device needs to be certified. If you are buying uncertified, there are tons of issues that can potentially arise. Consumer injury and other accidents have occurred because of unlisted, uncertified products that went south after purchase. If you are looking for safety as well as reliability, certified is the only way to go. Don’t skimp and buy from a third party seller just because it may save you a few bucks. It will not be worth it or cost less in the long run if something goes wrong.
When it comes down to it, it is essential to do all your homework before purchasing a certified refurbished device. Make sure the retailer who is restoring your electronic has good reviews and a good reputation. Do your research on if they offer a warranty for a decent amount of time or not, in case there is an issue after you bring it home with you. It is vital to cover all your bases before purchasing a refurbished product if you are looking for quality that lasts! Buying a surface laptop from a big brand like Windows, or purchasing a certified refurbished Macbook from Apple, is usually your best bet!
If you are smart with your research, you can get computers and tablets for as much as half off of the original price. The price comparison is essential to determine if it is worth purchasing certain products. With our Surface Pro 3, it is worth it because of the benefits and price drop. With the later versions, there are reasons these may not be the wisest investment.
A Refurbished Device Is a Great Option
In general, we see that purchasing refurbished devices is an excellent choice for a variety of reasons. The purchase of a certified refurbished Windows Surface Pro 3 comes with tons of perks and nothing to lose. Windows is sure to cover all the bases and give you a great quality product. Consider buying certified refurbished products from here on out! It is best for you, and the planet.
So, if you donâ€™t want to go with a third-party, potentially problematic refurbished Surface Pro 3, and want to save some hard-earned cash on a refurbished SP3, head on over to the refurb section of the online Microsoft Store here: Buy a Refurbished Surface Pro 3.