PayPal Here On Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3:
You may have PayPal Here available for the Surface tablets (and other Windows 8.1 based tablets).
If you’re not familiar with PayPal Here, it is a credit card swipe system that allows you to accept credit card payments on your mobile device by using PayPal. Up until March 15 of this year, you could use it on many Android and Apple devices but since then you can also use it on Windows 8.1 Surface tablets (and it’s about time!).
The new PayPal Here for Windows turns your Surface into an on-the-go payment center and allows you to get paid anywhere. It lets you accept credit and debit cards, as well as PayPal payments.
If you are considering using your Surface in such a way, you may be interested in knowing that you can reduce the per swipe transaction rate from 2.7% to only 1.9% until June 15, 2015 AND the reader is free (with a rebate of sorts).
Here is how it works:
- Purchase your PayPal Here device from Microsoft (retail store or online)
- Set up PayPal Here account with PayPal
- Receive $15 credit to your PayPal account, making the reader free
- Start swiping to accept credit card payments and pay only 1.9% until June 15, 2015
If you are using a Surface Pro 3 (SP3), you can also purchase a Lock and Stand with PayPal Here combo to turn your SP3 into a mobile point of sale solution. Microsoft even offers a couple nice bundles for your convenience.
Here are more details:
- Cost of PayPal Here swipe device: $15 with $15 credit = FREE. It can be used with any Surface
- Cost of PayPal Here and with Lock and Stand: $164 includes card reader and app + WindFall stand + Kensington ClickSafe security cable – can be used with Surface Pro 3.
- Full Surface Pro 3 PayPal Here bundle: $963 – includes the above bundle AND Surface Pro 3.
See this nice video about it from Microsoft:
- Swipe transaction discount is only valid until June 15, 2015
- Swipes must be made on PayPal Here purchased directly from Microsoft
- The swipes must be valid and in U.S.
- The discount (difference between 2.7% and 1.9%) will be credited as credit into your PayPal account
- Credit will be issued 15 days after the promotional period
- Limit 1 per customer
- Taxes, shipping or other fees are not included in discount
We just purchased one of these systems and so we will let you know how well it works in the field.