If you haven’t seen the update show up on your Surface yet, don’t worry about it. Microsoft stages Surface firmware updates, so that all users don’t get them simultaneously and overload their update servers.
The firmware updates package includes the following updates (conveniently broken-down by the model it affects)…
July Surface Firmware Update: Surface Pro 3
- Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware (v.184.108.40.206) reducing power consumption, and enhancing system stability
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware (v. 220.127.116.11) enhancing battery life, and increasing efficiency and reliability in low power states
- Surface Type Cover Firmware Update (v. 2.0.1021.0) improving trackpad reliability and system stability
- Surface Accessory Device (v. 2.0.1012.0) helping the on-screen keyboard (OSK) appear and disappear at the correct times
- Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth (v. 15.68.3042.79) enhancing system stability, reducing power consumption in low power states, and improving some WiFi connection scenarios.
In addition, Microsoft is planning to issue an update next Wednesday (July 16) to address some WiFi connection and throughput issues with the SP3.
July Surface Firmware Update: Surface Pro 2
- Wireless Network Controller (v 14.69.24054.176) enables functionality on wireless networks utilizing hidden SSIDs
- Intel-based Surface Pro July firmware updates
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware (v2.84.0350) improves battery management when a Surface Cover is attached
- Surface Pro UEFI (v1.6.350) provides support for PXE boot with the new Surface Ethernet Adapter
- Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (v10.18.10.3496) improves Miracast wireless display experience and enhances display stability
- Intel(R) Display Audio (v6.16.00.3135) enhances compatibility and improves the display experience for DisplayPort monitors
- Surface Accessory Device (v1.0.338.0) improves the experience when using Surface accessories
- Surface Power Cover Firmware update (v1.0.339.0) improves the experience when using Surface Power Cover
July Surface Firmware Update: Surface 2 LTE
- Modem Firmware Update (v5.706.306.1) enhances the performance and reliability of AT&T 4G LTE network on Surface 2 4G LTE
July Surface Firmware Update: Surface RT/2
- Surface Home Button Driver (v18.104.22.168) enhances system stability in both the active state and the sleep/wake transition state
If you apply the update and have improvements or problems, please come back and post a comment to let your fellow readers know.
Tim Rolston is a professional geek with over 23 years of experience working in Information Technology and dealing with everything from large-scale storage to remote systems management and automation for organizations such as Texas Instruments, Mobil Oil, and the University of Michigan (where he was an Academic IT Director).
He co-founded JTRTech along with Joanna to realize his long-time dream of working for himself.