We’re in Florida on vacation at the moment and of course we brought two (of our four) Surface tablets with us. We brought the Surface 2 4G for the obvious reason – constant web access – and Tim’s Surface 2 because that’s what he plays most of his games on – it is vacation after all.
We’re staying on the beautiful Manasota Key in Florida’s Sun Coast but unfortunately our place doesn’t have WiFi, thank goodness for that 4G on my Surface 2! We were doing a little work yesterday and Tim realized he had no way to send the work on to a colleague – oh crap!
So, of course the two geeks (yes we’re proud to admit we are geeks) went to work and figured out how setup a mobile hotspot with Surface 2 and the problem was solved.
So, we thought we’d share with you how we did it.
To create a mobile hotspot with Surface 2, do the following:
- Tap the AT&T App tile on your Surface – it should be located on your start screen but it it is not, it will be at the top of the list of apps on your Surface 2.
- Tap Mobile Hotspot and make sure it is turned on – it will give you warning, read it and click OK.
- You will now see the name of your Surface 2 network and a WiFi password that you will need for your other devices to connect.
On your other device (in our case this was Tim’s Surface Pro 2):
- Go to your list of networks and locate your Surface 2 on it.
- Tap to connect and enter the Network password when prompted.
Voila! You now have internet connection on both devices set up via a mobile hotspot with Surface 2.
Note: you can connect up to 10 devices this way.
Happy web surfing!